Saturday, July 6, 2013

Chivas USA signs Caleb Calvert, 16; youngest in franchise history

Chivas USA signs Caleb Calvert, 16; youngest in franchise history, Five days after adding one of the oldest players in team history in 34-year-old defender Carlos Bocanegra, Chivas USA went out and got the youngest professional in franchise history, signing 16-year-old forward Caleb Calvert as a homegrown player.

Calvert, who was born in Wrightwood, has suited up for the first team in several reserve league matches. He will be eligible to play in Chivas' next Major League Soccer match Sunday in Montreal. Calvert, who won't turn 17 until October, has been a part of Chivas USA’s Youth Academy for more than two years.

Before Calvert, midfielder Marco Delgado had been the youngest player to sign a professional contract in team history, at 16 years, 10 months and 17 days.

“I’m beyond thrilled.  I never thought this moment would come this soon and this fast but I’m living my dream right now, and it’s the most incredible feeling anyone can have,” Calvert said.  “Hopefully I get adjusted and comfortable soon and from there I can start playing my game and doing what I do best, scoring goals."

In the 2012-13 U.S Soccer Development Academy season, Calvert scored 22 goals. Chivas USA could use that kind of production.

After Thursday's draw with FC Dallas, the team is last in the Western Conference in victories (3) and goals (15) after 17 games. The team is winless in its last 12 games dating to March 30.

Chivas USA signs Caleb Calvert, 16; youngest in franchise history Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: My Videos Tube

0 comments:

Post a Comment